Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DCWD40 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7  
Subject: Is 2007 the year of corn, soybeans or wheat? Date: 5/25/2007 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I asked for this board because I have a sizeable stake in this ETF. What got me interested in this was the mention of the ETF being established on Fast Money and this story:

http://www.slipkafinancial.com/cornreport.pdf

I was trading in 1973 but had forgotten that corn reach $12.90 in June of that year. With poor people in Mexico rioting over $4 corn, I wonder what they were doing in 1973?

The big news has been the amount of corn being needed and used for ethanol. As the above link notes the big issue should be how much corn is being put into inventory by importers to buffer any major problems with supply. This is creating a very tight corn market that could drive prices much higher if the corn crop has any major weather related problems.

Soybeans have been the big surprise so far. All the corn being planted is raising concern that soybeans are going to be in shorter supply. Since the ETF was established, beans have been the big winner.

The anchor has been sugar. It is amazing how far and how fast it has fallen. World ethanol (Brazil being the best example) has been eating up sugarcane. They are even looking at replanting it on Kauai in order to produce ethanol in Hawaii. Yet, with all the demand, supply continues to be a problem. If I had formed this ETF, sugar would not have been part of the mix.

With so many boards being poorly used (with booming stocks like MOS), it will be interesting to see if this board gets any traffic. DBA has hardly been an outstanding stock performer -- but the long hot summer is still ahead of us.

W.D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement