Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is a hard copy of the year-end realized gain/loss report acceptable documentation for the IRS ???

I would also welcome any comments from Peter or Ira.

In the absence of revised regulations or Tax Court decisions that state otherwise, I would say "no". You document the purchase/sale of an asset by providing a source document that is contemporaneous with the transaction, not a report generated months later.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.