UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 746081  
Subject: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/13/2014 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
The Congressional Budget Office seems to think so.

http://spectator.org/blog/54699/cbo-america-going-bankrupt

For much of this year, the loony librul left has contended that America no longer has a spending problem, citing a shrinking deficit for 2013.

However, in the latest Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report released last week, CBO Director Doug Elmendorf blew that theory out of the water:

"The federal budget deficit has fallen faster than we expected a few years ago, and projected deficits have been reduced relative to what we expected would occur if the policies in place at that time were continued. However, relative to the size of the economy, debt remains historically high and is on an upward trajectory in the second half of the coming decade.

The fundamental federal budgetary challenge has hardly been addressed: The largest federal programs are becoming much more expensive because of the retirement of the baby boomers and the rising costs of health care, so we need to cut back on those programs, increase tax revenue to pay for them, or take some combination of those actions. Those choices are difficult, and the decision as to when we should implement such changes is complicated by the negative effects they could have on the economy if they took effect while it is still fairly weak."

Moreover, the CBO released its newest long-term debt projections for the federal government’s publicly held debt yesterday morning [9/17/13]--and the picture is as bad as Elmendorf claimed. Four numbers in particular stand out:

~ Under budget assumptions that are relatively optimistic, CBO expects publicly held debt to reach 108% of GDP in 2038.

~ If deficits go up by $2 trillion dollars more than the first set of budget assumptions by 2023, publicly held debt in 2038 will be 190% of GDP in 2038.

~ If $2 trillion is cut compared to the first assumption by 2023, the debt level would be slightly smaller than it was in 2012, at 67% of GDP.

~ And if Congress acts to cut $4 trillion compared to the first budget assumption by 2023, the publicly held debt would be lower than the level in 2007, at 31%.

In other words, unless Congress acts decisively to curb spending, America will incur unprecedented levels of debt.

It’s long past time to make real cuts to the federal budget, including to the entitlement programs the American people value the most. If we do not, it is possible that the United States will face an existential debt crisis that will make the financial collapse of Greece appear tame.

Comment on the article: Krugman says all is well and he has the Nobel Prize in economics and not me. Who am I to say that going into debt in the trillions of dollars might make the country go bankrupt?

And there you have it: libruls don't care about America turning into Greece. We're doomed so long as libruls are in charge.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719470 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 1:33 PM
Recommendations: 2
The government does it's typical 'doublespeak' dance and the loony left believe it.

Metal

Author: jerryab2 Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719471 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
And there you have it: libruls don't care about America turning into Greece. We're doomed so long as libruls are in charge.

Care to try again--but base your claims on facts this time? Or not?

http://www.federalreserve.gov/BOARDDOCS/TESTIMONY/2001/20010...

'The most recent projections, granted their tentativeness, nonetheless make clear that the highly desirable goal of paying off the federal debt is in reach before the end of the decade.'

Explain why that did not happen. If you dare.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719481 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 2:15 PM
Recommendations: 4
Explain why that did not happen. If you dare. ~jerryjibjab

Doesn't matter. That was then. This is now. Baracky has put us additional trillions of dollars in debt--more than all past presidents combined.

Explain that. If you dare.

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719486 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 2:35 PM
Recommendations: 0
No, but it does appear to be drowning in wingnut BS.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719488 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 7
It's amazing that libruls can recognize that we're trillions of dollars in debt and still deny that American is going bankrupt.

Amazing.

Author: jerryab2 Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719492 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 3:01 PM
Explain why that did not happen. If you dare. ~jerryjibjab

Doesn't matter. That was then. This is now. Baracky has put us additional trillions of dollars in debt--more than all past presidents combined.

Explain that. If you dare.

Employment figures from BLS B-1:

Jan 2002: 130,847,000 Start of conservative economic policy period
Dec 2009: 129,687,000 End of conservative economic period
Job created: (1,160,000) Great conservative job creation record
Missing: 2-million jobs/year for 8 years (new workers entering workforce)
Total jobs LOST due to failed conservative economic policies: 17,160,000

If you don't like the math, perhaps you are better at basketweaving.....

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719497 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 4:02 PM
...projected deficits have been reduced...

This is all you need to know. They are still projecting DEFICITS. Even if smaller than they thought, they are DEFICITS.

Ergo, we still have a spending problem and will sooner or later go bankrupt.

JLC

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719514 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 8:36 PM
cc
It's amazing that libruls can recognize that we're trillions of dollars in debt and still deny that American is going bankrupt.

Amazing.

Not as amazing as FMNH who states ad nauseam that we are paying down the debt and just ship 'fiscal' shape as a nation.

Metal

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719515 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 8:37 PM
jerry

Dec 2009: 129,687,000 End of conservative economic period
Job created: (1,160,000) Great conservative job creation record
Missing: 2-million jobs/year for 8 years (new workers entering workforce)
Total jobs LOST due to failed conservative economic policies: 17,160,000

If you don't like the math, perhaps you are better at basketweaving.....

We get that. Especially the tight fiscal conservatives and libertarians on RECF.

But please explain why Obama double downed on 'stupid'?

Metal

Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719517 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 8:40 PM

Metal

And if it were not for the tea party people in the House, the democrats would triple down on stupid.

Metal

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719519 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 8:43 PM

On what planet?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719523 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 9:31 PM

Metal

?????????

You think it's easy getting jerry's support?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719524 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/14/2014 9:33 PM
And if it were not for the tea party people in the House, the democrats would triple down on stupid.

And like Romans at the coliseum, the Republicans would have cheered them on.

Author: jerryab2 Big red star, 1000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719550 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/15/2014 11:36 AM

On what planet?

The one where "supply side economics" created 16-million jobs, NONE of them in govt, remember?

Author: THEMATHISNEAR Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719700 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/17/2014 12:58 PM
Don't you just love liberal numnutz who basically make the argument that the patient isn't going to die because he's bleeding slower now!

And these are the same geniuses who are running healthcare. As in, into the ground. 'Progress' at the Speed of Stupid.

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 719755 of 746081
Subject: Re: Is America Going Bankrupt? Date: 2/18/2014 8:40 AM

Ego.

JLC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement