Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TippingPoint Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 549  
Subject: Is BOBJ worth 2x Cognos? Date: 1/15/2004 7:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been fiddling with the numbers to adjust for the recent acquisition by BOBJ of Crystal Decisions and I keep scratching my head. If I set the expected p/e multiple on their stock to be equal to that of Cognos, I get a stock price of about US$26 not the whopping US$37 that it is trading at present.

Am I missing something?
Have I done the math wrong to adjust for the increased earnings and stock dilution that go along with the Crystal acquisition or is BOBJ vastly over priced?
Are the synergies that Crystal is supposedly going to deliver so great?

I personally can't see any synergies in the Crystal purchase. They paid US$800 million of which US$300 million was in cash. I can't help wondering what Thom Weatherford thinks of this deal. If you have tracked BOBJ over the years, you will know that BOBJ went from a market cap of US$2 billion to US$700 million after Weatherford retired. Could the Crystal purchase be the sort of fiscal foolishness that investors were spooked about a year and a half ago?

The fact is that people leaving does not tend to have an immediate effect. If you consider that, consider this. I think that many of the sale staff in the US operations will agree that Bill Robinson was responsible for the steady growth of BOBJ's sales in the US. Bill left to work for Actuate about two quarters ago so I am betting that the effects will start to be felt in the next two quarters.

Another thing to consider is the whether merging companies ever works and if BOBJ has ever been successful at it. If you look back you will see that many mergers have been absolute pigs that never delivered the value promised. In BOBJ's case, ask the question "what ever happened to Olap@work". BOBJ bought this great little company and then flubbed the integration of the two companies.

In general, I get the impression that there are two many tech dollars for too few outstanding performers and we are seeing a mini bubble as a result. Lets face it a 53 times e/p ratio is real dot com stuff.

What do you think?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement