Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: czarinav Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Is hotel a medical expense? Date: 2/9/2005 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In October 2004 I was scheduled for a eight-hour surgery at a hospital in San Francisco; check-in time 6am for surgery to start 7:30 am. I live in the East Bay, about 15 miles from the city, via the Bay Bridge.

The bridge can be a traffic nightmare during rush hour, which starts pretty early around here. If there is an "incident" on the bridge, traffic can be delayed for an hour or more.

Therefore, instead of risking a snarl and missing my surgery (three doctors involved) I drove to the city the night before and stayed in a hotel close to the hospital. This really helped me with the tension over traffic and anxiety in general re the surgery. Question: is the hotel cost a deductible medical expense. (I will otherwise qualify for medical deductions for 2004).
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76485 of 121585
Subject: Re: Is hotel a medical expense? Date: 2/9/2005 10:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
In October 2004 I was scheduled for a eight-hour surgery at a hospital in San Francisco; check-in time 6am for surgery to start 7:30 am. I live in the East Bay, about 15 miles from the city, via the Bay Bridge.

The bridge can be a traffic nightmare during rush hour, which starts pretty early around here. If there is an "incident" on the bridge, traffic can be delayed for an hour or more.

Therefore, instead of risking a snarl and missing my surgery (three doctors involved) I drove to the city the night before and stayed in a hotel close to the hospital. This really helped me with the tension over traffic and anxiety in general re the surgery. Question: is the hotel cost a deductible medical expense. (I will otherwise qualify for medical deductions for 2004).

Yes, up to $50/person per night. See IRS Pub. 502, Medical and Dental Expenses. www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf.

Ira

Author: czarinav Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76500 of 121585
Subject: Re: Is hotel a medical expense? Date: 2/9/2005 1:54 PM
Recommendations: 0
Many thanks. I read it and it appears that I can do $50 a person, as I was driven there by sister..........since I would be staying at hospital the subsequent night and thereafter unable to drive back home. Also, it looks like we might get reimbursed for dinner that night up to a certain point as well. Every bit helps, right?

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76506 of 121585
Subject: Re: Is hotel a medical expense? Date: 2/9/2005 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
I read it and it appears that I can do $50 a person, as I was driven there by sister..........since I would be staying at hospital the subsequent night and thereafter unable to drive back home. Also, it looks like we might get reimbursed for dinner that night up to a certain point as well. Every bit helps, right?

You must have missed the part, under "Meals," in Pub 502 that specifically says you can't deduct dinner.

IMO the lodging deduction for Sis is iffy. It wasn't medically necessary for her to stay with you overnight; she could have dropped you off and gone home, coming back in a couple of days to pick you up.

Phil

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76511 of 121585
Subject: Re: Is hotel a medical expense? Date: 2/9/2005 6:36 PM
"Therefore, instead of risking a snarl and missing my surgery (three doctors involved) I drove to the city the night before and stayed in a hotel close to the hospital. This really helped me with the tension over traffic and anxiety in general re the surgery. Question: is the hotel cost a deductible medical expense. (I will otherwise qualify for medical deductions for 2004). "

I think you must be ready for the IRS to question the deduction, which does not mean you shouldn't take it.

If the hotel where you stayed was a block from the hospital, and was a moderately priced hotel, where you got a single room with no unusual amenities, I think you can make a good case that you are as entitled to that expense as you would be to the mileage to the hospital for your car. If your doctor suggested that you make these arrangements, that is more helpful. But if you stayed in the bridal suite of the most expensive hotel in town and added a deluxe meal for five (a party, of course, to wish you a successful operation and a quick recovery) with wine and a large tip, and then a variety of drinks from the little bar in your room, (to calm your nerves, of course) then I don't think that will fly.

If your five-year-old has cancer and you and your wife stay at the Ronald McDonalds' across from the hospital so you can be near the sick child undergoing treatment, your expenses should be deductible as medical. Seems this situation isn't much different.

If you explain to the auditor why the expense was justified just as you have here, and you didn't inappropriately run up the tab, they are likely to be reasonable.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 76518 of 121585
Subject: Re: Is hotel a medical expense? Date: 2/10/2005 12:52 AM
Chris,

I think you tried to use logic in your analysis of the deductibility of the hotel expense. The IRS has a definite rule according to Pub 502. Logic need not be considered.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement