UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1951285  
Subject: Re: State by State? Date: 10/4/2012 11:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is implementing Romneycare state by state a good idea? Given the issues we have to consider when looking at healthcare, like moving across state lines, pre-existing conditions, etc., it seems like having 50 different sets of health care laws would be wildly inefficient.

I say "yes" because then you have more choices. Maryland had a state insurance plan for residents with pre-existing conditions before ACA, and I was on it for about 1 year. It was run by BC/BS - so when I worked in DC it wasn't an issue to see a doctor in DC as long as they accepted BC/BS. Rates were by age-range and income and there were lower premiums if your income was X amount below median for the state - and it was doing well enough that it expanded to allow enrolls to enroll depedants - so if I'd had a spouse I could've had them covered, even if they didn't have pre-existing conditions.

Pre-existing conditions don't become an issue if (like Maryland's plan was) the insurance is specifically for people with pre-existing conditions, or if you can't deny people with pre-existing conditions (like ACA now) or if via HIPP laws you don't have a break in coverage.

I got off it once I had a full-time job where insurance premium was subsidized more by the employer than what I was paying in premium for Maryland's state plan.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement