Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is it possible to change my withholding status this year to a partial witholding? I just graduated college in May and moved to CA. My start date was August 20th.

Yes. Your goal is to get your withholding to match your tax liability by the end of the tax year. If you have significant life changes (marriage, birth of a child, new job, etc), you should adjust your withholdings appropriately.

Just visit your employer's "pay and benefits" office. With a little luck, they'll have someone on staff who can help you figure out the right withholding numbers. If not, this web site has some useful information:

David Jacobs
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.