Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is it possible to do so while keeping the money in a Keogh account, or is converting to another savings vehicle -- SEP or IRA Roth, for example -- necessary?
If your goal is to simply manage the existing funds yourself you can establish a new account with the brokerage of your choice - indicating to them that it will fund a rollover KEOUGH. Request a trustee to trustee transfer of these funds to your new account. Depending on where you have the funds invested now the current trustee may likely have to liquidate existing shares of mutual funds and transfer the cash to the new trustee. As long as you do not receive the funds and they are rolled via this "trustee to trustee" transfer then no taxes will be due on the transaction. Once your account is set up with the new brokerage you can then begin the management of those funds yourself.
You can of course add to the KEOUGH in the coming years if your self employment income continues and you desire to make future contributions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.