Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Is it possible with most medium-priced (~$500) cameras to use an external monitor rather than the built in one while recording?

I have a roughly 10 year old JVC Super VHS camcorder and a Canon HG10 digital camera, both of which I'm trying to use to record and digitize some 50+ year old 8mm films. I have hooked up an external digital TV to both of them to watch what the camera is recording with no problem. What the camera sees projected on the wall and what the human eye sees are 2 different things, which becomes obvious only when watching the monitor.

For anyone attempting to do the same, this is necessary to minimize frame rate interference between the 8mm projector and the camera, assuming you have a projector you can adjust playback speed on. Not sure why at this point, I'm actually getting better quality with the 2 step process of recording 1st with the VHS camera, then running that analog signal through a Diamond VC500 Video Capture setup into my PC.

Ralph
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement