Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WhidbeyIsland One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3381  
Subject: Is it time for Whole Foods to grow up? Date: 7/30/2007 6:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
I come at this from quite a different viewpoint, perhaps.

First, my family background is deeply embedded with “alternative health” and nutrition. My paternal grandfather was a dentist who became entranced with Kellogg of the cereal family. Kellogg was a Dr. who believed that “colonics” (a euphemism for enemas) would prevent almost every health problem--a bit of quackery still promoted today; my grandfather switched over from pulling teeth to putting nozzles in another part of people’s anatomy. I suspect he was fairly full of you know what.

My parents drifted away from the colonics infatuation (though I got a few as a kid) and became entranced with “health food,” organic gardening, and similar obsessions. They were convinced that fluoride was a deadly poison, that laetrile was a cure for cancer suppressed by the American Medical Association, and that immunizations against diseases such as polio were a fiendish and unnecessary plot by the medical “establishment.”

Looking back on my childhood; especially the decision to keep the five of us (my four siblings and myself) from being vaccinated against polio at the height of the polio epidemics of the 50s was the equivalent of playing Russian roulette with our health. (Though none of us caught it, so maybe they were right.)

On the other hand, over time, after rebelling against my parents, I’ve tried to integrate what might have been and useful in spite of their often quackery-ridden ideas into a more sensible and practical world view. I think the industrialization of American agriculture, the corn-syruping of our mass merchandized food, our mad scientist playing with genetic modification of our crops to be another kind of quackery.

I suspect 80% of the organic foods movement is probably quackery, or if not quackery, wishful thinking, but the other 20% is probably important. I would rather eat food not sprayed with pesticides. I would rather eat food grown by a farmer near where I live I can look in the eye at a farmer’s market or by myself (though the health benefit may come more from the exercise I get growing it than from the marvels of what I grew) than I would food grown in China.

I belong to and shop at a fairly large consumer food coop. I own some Whole Foods stock, and I stop and shop there once in a while to keep an eye on my investment, but for many reasons I much prefer the co-op. I also own some “preferred stock” in Organic Valley, a producer’s co-op; although they call it a “preferred stock” it functions much more like a CD than a stock or even a bond.

In many of my jobs, I have worked for entrepreneurs (though more in computer-related areas than food). In my experience, they are brilliant and hard working and arrogant and dangerous and toxic and self-infatuated people. Although I don’t have any personal experience with Mackey, he sounds like he would fit in with the rogues’ galley of people I’ve worked for and with. It’s pretty typical for an entrepreneur to launch a company brilliantly and then outlive his usefulness. In many cases, the company has to dump the initial genius on the way to becoming a “grown-up” company. Is it that time for Whole Foods to grow up?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement