UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFDj111 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127684  
Subject: Re: Home Warranty Date: 2/13/2003 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is it worth purchasing a home warranty when buying a newer (15 yo) condo/townhome? We are planning on replacing the kitchen appliances ASAP, the hot water heater and central air are only a few years old, and the furnace will probably need to be replaced in the next 2-5 years. I'm not even sure what a home warranty would cover?

I recommend you check with your real estate agent to find out what home warranties are available and at what cost. I also recommend you telephone whoever provides your current homeowners or renters insurance to see if they offer a home warranty and at what price.

I would expect a home warranty to cover your townhome would run in the neighborhood of $500 per year with a $100 deductible. It probably will cover major mechanical and structural systems, and it might cover major appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator, etc.)

If you can afford to replace the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and cooling) system or the roof if they fail unexpectedly, or replace a major appliance if it fails, then you probably would prefer to use the warranty premium to make the upgrades and repairs you described. On the other hand, if unexpected repairs would devastate your finances, then the warranty premium may buy you the peace of mind to allow you to sleep at night.

Personally, I would hire a good house inspector before I purchased residential real estate, and I would use the inspector's report to adjust my offer to include the cost of needed upgrades and neglected maintenance. In my neck of the woods, some house inspectors offer home warranties on houses that pass their inspection for a substantially reduced premium. However, I understand this practice is not typical across the country.

David Jacobs
TMFDj111
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement