Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is moving back to home for 1+ years to satisfy the requirement of 2 of the last 5 years out of the question?

It will take staying in the house 2 years to get the full exclusion back. The prior year of residency would be disappearing as each day of new residency is added. So the total residency time would not begin increasing until after the fifth anniversary of their move out of the house. Bummer.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.