Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ranger49 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19325  
Subject: Is now the time to buy?? Date: 6/1/2001 4:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
With the market being at a low point, is now the time to buy mutual funds? I want to invest some money in a College Fund for my 2 year old son.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gurdison Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6841 of 19325
Subject: Re: Is now the time to buy?? Date: 6/1/2001 4:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<With the market being at a low point, is now the time to buy mutual funds? I want to invest some money in a College Fund for my 2 year old son.>

Your question is WAY to broad to even begin to answer in a meaningful way. The fact that you want to set up a college fund for your son is good. If you have been putting money aside for this purpose, that too is good.

There are literally thousands of funds in dozens of catagories out there. Some have done well this year. Others are waving the white flag. You need to increase your overall understanding of your goals and risk levels BEFORE starting. Do not get talked into anything that you do not understand! If you decide that funds are your choice, you should try to stick with a low cost provider (ie: Vanguard).

BRG

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6843 of 19325
Subject: Re: Is now the time to buy?? Date: 6/1/2001 7:32 PM
With the market being at a low point, is now the time to buy mutual funds? I want to invest some money in a College Fund for
my 2 year old son.

Yes, but tomorrow the market might be lower. However I think we would all bet that 15 years from now it is higher.

The real point is any time in the market cycle is a good time to start investing. You want to invest a little each week or month. (dollar cost averaging).

Go to any large mutual fund and look at IRS section 529 plans.

Do not put the money in your childs name.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6844 of 19325
Subject: Re: Is now the time to buy?? Date: 6/1/2001 7:44 PM
With the market being at a low point, is now the time to buy mutual funds? I want to invest some money in a College Fund for my 2 year old son.

Anytime is a good time to invest. If the market it well off it's highs, then so much the better. The best thing, however, is to invest regularly over time. I think it's a real mistake to try to time the market. If your daughter is 2 years old, there will be many ups and downs before she gets to college. Just start putting the money away now, each month, and keep doing it. And, don't forget to take care of yourself at the same time.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement