Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ResN Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Is Pfau Shilling? Date: 2/28/2014 8:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is a cross-post from Retirement Investing: The great Prof Pfau has been headline seeking for some time now, but I really would like to get to the bottom of his current media celebrity. He is loudly and wildly proclaiming the demise of the 4% rule of thumb. When I read one of his first articles on this subject some months ago, he had a footnote in the article that stated that all of his calculations were based on the assumption of an 1% annual fee on total assets as representing the cost for financial services and fund expenses. The original 4% study included no such assumption. Bottom line: Pfau now is starting from a point that has annual returns and total annual portfolio values reduced by a 1% annual fee, while in reality many investors and retirees have fees that are 90% or more less than Pfau's 1%. For example, I invest with Vanguard via Admiral funds. My equities are in either SP500 or Total Market, both of which have a .05% annual fee. I'm not great at math, but I think that makes my annual equity fees around 99% less than what Pfau is using. My bond fund fees at Vanguard around .1%, which is still around 99% less than the number Pfau is using. Now, I'm not a great investor, but anyone can invest with Vanguard, and Vanguard produces good (if not excellent) returns annually and over time relative to everyone else in the universe. So, why is Pfau using what he must know to be a ridiculous expense ratio? Yes, it produces great headlines, gets him talking head gigs on TV, and makes for a longer CV for his academic position. But, what it really does is scare the hell out of everyone approaching retirement, so that they run headlong into the grasp of so-called financial experts who claim to be able to save your retirement. Of course, these same financial experts will annually charge at least 1%, if not more, thus insuring that what Pfau says in fact comes to pass. I wonder how much money Pfau makes from the financial services industry via speaking fees and grants? Also of interest is the fact that I haven't been able to find the original footnote about the 1% annual fee in any of his more recent articles. In fact, his more recent articles don't seem to say anything at all about fees. I wonder why? It would be nice in intercst would comment on whether I've got my facts correct here, since unlike Pfau, I don't claim to be an expert at anything.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement