No. of Recommendations: 3
Is she married? My biggest question is what was her profession? Does she have kids? She's curiously very quiet about all this. Why?

You've brought this up before, several months ago. Nobody else seems to care much, and you are starting to feel a bit stalkerish to me. I suppose when someone tries to manipulate me in some way, I have natural resistance, in addition the the red flags you've raised in my mind.

Think off all the other regulars. We know everything about them. Fleg used to smOke pot. Art once had happy times with a plastic mustard colored couch. It goes on and on.

I'm a freedom-loving kind of person and think each person should feel free to reveal whatever they are comfortable with. Don't you think the same? If one person wants to tell everything about themselves, how does that require that others follow suit? I'm asking about the logic you are using. It appears to me that you are unhappy that I am not, in your mind, as forth-coming as others, so you see some sort of deficit in your knowledge of me. Does that really matter?

I completely understand wanting privacy. That's fine. But then don't ask me about my personal circumstances of you don't want to reveal any. That's all.

You had previously said that you were unemployed and seeking employment. You made that public. I asked out of concern for your welfare and hoping you might have found a better place for job hunting. You are over-reacting. Don't reveal anything about yourself that you not comfortable with saying. If you didn't want to answer the question, you could have just skipped over it instead of trying to manipulate me. You come across as a bit of a bully.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it is kind of weird for Foolman to condition his response to my question on whether or not I give more identifying information about myself? It doesn't really work, because I'm not very good at being held hostage. ;)

One thing I've noticed, though, is that Foolman likes to meet up in person with people from the board. He likes to use their real names on the board. My gut feeling is that he wants more information about me because he subconsciously (or perhaps with conscious understanding) thinks that will give him a bit of "power" over me in some way, and that he feels that way about the others he's met in person. I suppose if he knew enough about me, he could destroy me. I saw a witch hunt on a board once, in which some people didn't like what one member was starting to say. So they posted his real name and place of employment and suggested that people call the place he worked for and rat him out in some way. I think he may have been fired because of the phone calls.

Who knows what kind of deviants lurk on these boards, and we don't even know they are reading? I have my own view of what is wise to say; it apparently doesn't match Foolman's need to know, but his lust to know doesn't constitute a requirement for me to act on it. If that offends you, Foolman, or anyone else, it can't be helped. Someone once tried to turn the board against me. I don't feel safe here. Not everybody here has my best interests at heart.

In any event, I am rooting for you, Foolman, to find whatever it is that makes you happy. Notice I'm not asking you any questions, just rooting for your success. Peace.

http://philoctetes.org/news/the_power_of_names_religion_math...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement