Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: Re: Mistakenly late RMD Date: 1/3/2013 12:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Is the 50% penalty a hard and fast, never broken outcome?

No. Here's the official way for her to proceed.

She completes Form 5329, Part VIII and attaches it to her 2012 return. The 50% penalty is added to her 1040 total due. The she requests a refund. Given her story, which she would fully document in the refund request, they'd probably refund it.

Here's what I'd do.

We call it a penalty, but it's actually an excise tax which, in the law, stands by itself, but for administrative ease has been tacked on to the 1040. The 5329 can be filed by itself. I'd do that now and send it in without payment, requesting that the tax be waived. Include documentation of the actions she took and the distribution. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

Regardless of what happens the distribution is 2013 income.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement