Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: nwvic Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: when is a business no longer a business? Date: 6/19/2012 10:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Is the business incorporated, or in any form other than sole proprietorship? I think you would need to wind down that entity if you were to meet the requirements of being a "hobby" vs for-profit enterprise. At the very least, it would free you from the (possibly) required annual reports to the state.

No, it is (was) a sole proprietorship. There is no profit - not even close. He will never be able to use the NOL carryover, even if he qualified for it. In truth, he would be so far ahead to throw out his obsolete inventory, give away or fire sale the salable merchandise, and rent out the building. But he won't. His identity is wrapped up in being an entrepreneur. He thinks his clients - the few that are left - need him. I suspect they feel sorry for him. To me, it has become a hobby as there is no realistic expectation of a profit. But he is determined to keep going.

If I don't file for him, the state will make an estimate and assess - and attach or foreclose on his house - which I will likely inherit. But his lack of record-keeping makes it impossible for me to file an accurate return. The state is sending him their version of a POA, which he is supposed to sign appointing me to act for him. If he does, I'll try the hobby idea on them.

I swear I won't do this to my kids.

Vic
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement