UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1977247  
Subject: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 2:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
I am Pro-Life.

It is the primary reason I am registered Republican.
In most other aspects of my life I am liberal.

Today I got a letter (mass mailing) from Rand Paul and the National Pro-Life Alliance.

Although I have heard it before, it never really struck me how very UN Pro-Life the Republican Party is.

In my opinion Pro-Life means that you are in favor of people living over people dying. In my opinion this extends to pre-born people. However it does not stop at birth. It should in my opinion apply 10x more once you are born.

Where are the pro-life petitions to extend health care for those who do not have access? Where are the pro-life petitions to end the death penalty? Where are the pro-life petitions to stop unwanted pregnancies?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821498 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 2:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This is a NEW thought to you???????????????

Hmmmmmmm!

Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821504 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 2:46 PM
Recommendations: 0
This is a NEW thought to you???????????????

I had heard it before. I and knew there was some truth to it, but somehow reading the mailing from Mr Paul, combined with the current arguements the GOP is prioritizing made it so much more obvious.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821516 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 73
I am Pro-Life.

It is the primary reason I am registered Republican.
In most other aspects of my life I am liberal.

See, I don't really understand that combination.

If one wants people to stop having abortions, as you say, one should support aggressively lowering the rate of unwanted pregnancies. That means teaching children, broadly and from a young age, about how not to become pregnant. It means free (or as near to it as possible) and widely accessible birth-control, for people who are sexually active.

The current GOP is entirely antithetical to those things. The only course of action that most conservatives recommend is, "Don't have sex if you don't want to get pregnant." That's a failed policy, it doesn't work, people are biologically wired to like sex and to have sex.

Once a child is born out of wedlock, as you point out, the modern GOP's job is done. They're happy the child wasn't aborted. But they want to wash their hands of any social responsibility to help that child grow up to be an educated, healthy, productive member of society. If the kid is hungry, too bad, the parent should work harder. If the kid grows up illiterate, too bad, it's the fault of the crappy public school system they attend, and the parent's fault too. If the kid commits a crime, too bad, lock 'em up, hope they rot.

So, why on earth would you still be voting for the GOP? The modern GOP likes to talk about "personal responsibility". Well, what's wrong with providing people with the means not become pregnant, and if an accident still happens, allowing them to make the personal choice to abort? No one's forcing anyone to make this choice. Why should they be denied that choice? If one's faith-based beliefs make abortion a sinful thing to do, then let the person making that choice carry that. The modern GOP also likes to natter on about the "nanny state". What the hell could be "nannier" than getting between a woman and her doctor in such a personal matter?

--FY

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821543 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 4:19 PM
All that logic, FY, is never going to work on PA.

The kid should have picked better parents.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821551 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 4:42 PM
The kid should have picked better parents.

Mitt chose to stop at five....

Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821590 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 7:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
So, why on earth would you still be voting for the GOP? The modern GOP likes to talk about "personal responsibility".

I should point out that I have not voted for a Republican since 2000 (at the national level).

I was morally against Bush's use of torture.
Then they threw Sector under the bus, and I have not had respect for anyone running for a national post since then.

Truthfully the republicans running for state office that I have met were very much of the same cloth.

Only the local GOP members seem to be worth voting for, but even then, not all of them.

Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821591 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 7:33 PM
Although my parents extended families are staunch Republicans, my parents were each the black sheep of their families and voted Dem. As I came of age I registered Libertarian, and then once I bought a home and needed permits, it became clear that these were gotten much easier if you had a R next to your name in the voter rolls.

Imagine if Fox News found out that a Republican had trouble getting building permits in a Dem controlled township? But the opposite happens (or at least is rumored to) every week here in Upper Darby.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821596 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 7:50 PM
I was morally against Bush's use of torture.

But although Obama sends drones everyone to blow people up, I find him just fine.

That he basically believes in birth channel abortions is just a bonus

BS meter just broke again, gotta stop turning it on before coming to PA

Author: GrumpyOldGuy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821610 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 8:26 PM
BS meter just broke again, gotta stop turning it on before coming to PA

C'mon, this is just another "I was a staunch Republican until.......(insert latest BS here)...." post. Let them have their fun.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821619 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 9:08 PM
C'mon, this is just another "I was a staunch Republican until.......(insert latest BS here)...." post. Let them have their fun.

Truth is I AM a registered Democrat, I gotta start making this type of post.

NYC is so crooked, I could take no chances when my wife became involved in a politically influenced position when I still lived in Brooklyn. And I have been too lazy to change affiliation. Just in case she ever moves out here, I should probably change to Republican, as we are just as crooked here, just the other way. Then I can make one of those I was a registered Democrat but the party left me I didn't leave the party, and though I would of course vamp it up a little, it would essentially be true.

Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821625 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/5/2012 9:34 PM
Recommendations: 4
But although Obama sends drones everyone to blow people up, I find him just fine.

That he basically believes in birth channel abortions is just a bonus

Drones are acts of war.
Defending the nation from those that want to do us harm.
I am not against defense.

I am still pro-life, I don't pretend to agree with everything Obama supports. But I agree with a lot more of what Obama supports than what Romney says he supports. That is assuming that if he takes both sides of an issue, he really means the side I am against.

Author: olRoger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821654 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 12:35 AM

Drones are acts of war.
Defending the nation from those that want to do us harm.
I am not against defense.

If drones were so great, then why are more civilians killed that combatants. This is more a way to protect pilots while attacking targets that are not well identified. If there were real pilots flying these missions, then there would be better trade offs; is this target worth risking this pilots life. Now it is "Is there be someone to assassinate who might be at this at this location." Assassination is not legal under modern rules of war but death of field of battle is. Hmmm

o R

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821660 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 2:02 AM
I get building permits every month of the year, and it makes no difference if you are a D or an R to whether you can pull them.

Author: N56629 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821662 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 2:12 AM
"pre-born people"

No such animal.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821663 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 2:17 AM
jerryab says

"The kid should have picked better parents."

Mitt chose to stop at five....

Um, is that a Mormon thing?

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821825 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 3:12 PM
Um, is that a Mormon thing?

Think of it as a defying God's will thing....

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821827 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 3:15 PM
If drones were so great, then why are more civilians killed that combatants.

If an al-Qaeda drone attacked the World Trade Center Twin Towers, would it kill more combatants or more civilians? And why are those two groups mixed together--expecially at that location?

Author: hrse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1821930 of 1977247
Subject: Re: is the GOP Pro-Life? Date: 10/6/2012 11:15 PM
By the same token, I understand that in Philadelphia Republicans get building contracts all the time.

Are you suggesting that this never happens?

I don't know for certain that it has ever happened, but I know more than a few members who take it as fact.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement