Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: nggCatgoyle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: Re: Continued Kitchen Renovation Date: 6/2/2004 3:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is the kitchen small or just oddly shaped?

Yes. Kitchens apparently weren't seen as very important in the 1920s. It has been enlarged, and it's still fairly small. The enlargements contribute to the odd shape. In addition to the Butler's Pantry (glad you like the name!), we have a "Mud Room" at the other end, around the corner (to the right of the picture from MIL's place). It leads to RealNGG's Grilling Deck. It's where the recyclables go, tools are stored, and other junk accumulates there. It's kind of a pig pen, so I didn't bother taking any pictures of it.

Do you have a formal dining room? Looks like it's set up where you can eat at the bar/butcher block counter. Just wondering which doorway any dining room is off.

Yes, we do have a formal dining room. In the first actual kitchen picture, the doorway across the butcher block counter is the entry into it. Unless we have company, however, we eat at the counter.

Doing anything with the cabinets or just floor and counter tops?

No plans to change the cabinets. That would be far more major construction than we're interested in. Just new appliances, floor and counters. Even if we wanted to change the cabinets, I think we'd pretty much be stuck with putting new ones where the old ones are. Other than knocking down the wall between the kitchen and dining area to create an open space, there really isn't any way to enlarge the kitchen or change much of the current configuration's design. That's okay with me, because I like the old house style, with separate rooms for separate purposes.

Actually, we could gain a little space by removing the large cabinet behind the counter, but we'd hate to do that because it's the coolest cabinet ever. It has shelves on the inside of the doors, and two interior shelves that are on hinges and swing out, making it always easy to see what canned goods and other items are actually there without digging.

Your home looks lovely. Great to drive up to every night.

Thanks. We sure feel that way!

Cori
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement