Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 8
Is the TIN I need an Employer Identification Number?


For help from a pro, I'd try your tax preparer instead of your lawyer.

This is one where a DIY approach is a reasonable alternative. Here's where I'd suggest you start: . The actual application starts at the link at the bottom of the page.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WORKING PRINTER AND PDF READER on your computer before you start. You will need both, and you'll only get one shot at printing out the letter that your broker will need. Miss that and it will take some time to get a replacement from the IRS.

I'd also suggest downloading a paper copy of Form SS-4 here: and filling it out by hand before starting the online version. It will save you some time with the online system, and the online system will time out if you take too long.

The instructions are here: . And the online system won't let you use punctuation. At all. No periods, no commas, no apostrophes, no nuttin'.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.