UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 766  
Subject: Re: Trading versus investing Date: 7/15/2006 9:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there a home for such short term traders at the FOOL?

Probably you could find one, or start your own board here somewhere.

Studies seem to show that the more frequently people trade their accounts, the more money their brokers make, but the less money they themselves make.

A well known investor, Mr. Warren Buffett, seems to think that if a stock is not worth owning for 10 years, it is not worth owning for 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, far too many of the ups and downs of the analysts whose reactions drive the markets are purely based on emotion or hearsay. Sometimes, I believe software applications could better serve the economy by monitoring all key indicators and company accounting input to derive true worth and then send the anachronism of the wall street and other analyst home as they more often artificially drive stocks into tailspins based upon sound and fury signifying nothing. In fact, even at the level of the individual trader I believe that a real time software program that monitors the economy, the sectors, and the company data to effect instant trades based upon swings could do a better job than most analysts.

The question I see implied here is "does monitoring all key indicators and company accounting input to derive true worth contain enough leading information (i.e., in time to use it) to actually make more money than doing fundamental analysis of the companies and investing in those that can be purchased with a sufficient margin of safety?" Because the data going into the hypothetical computer program is all trailing information by the time you get it to feed into the program. I.e., those better equipped to get these data than we are will have already acted on it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement