Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 13898  
Subject: is there a name for it? Date: 10/30/2012 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
You know those sentences -- always written in large type -- in an article that are used to break up the text of the article and also to stimulate reading all that text? They are always quotes taken from the text itself. Here's an example: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/27/the-death-o...

Do they have a name?

culcha
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12707 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 10/30/2012 8:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
They're spreaders. When you have a certain amount of real estate allotted
to a story, but it doesn't quite fill it, the printer takes what he
considers a key sentence, and s p r e a d s it to fill the space.

~aj

Author: catfyre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12708 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 10/30/2012 8:32 PM
I think they're 'headers'.

cat

Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12709 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 10/30/2012 8:40 PM
Recommendations: 4
Pull quotes.

I'd like you to think that I knew it off-hand, but actually I googled "sentences inside article in larger font in newspapers". Google search is nothing short of magical as far as I am concerned, since the very first link pointed me to this: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-pull-quote.htm.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12710 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/2/2012 1:18 AM
Thanks -- That's it!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pull+quote&hl=en&rlz...

culcha

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12711 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/3/2012 8:02 PM
They are called call-outs.

And I would have answered you a lot sooner, except that I was without power from Monday evening at 8pm till 4:45am today. One of those residents of power-less lower Manhattan! (And minor flooding in our downstairs Monday night.) Dealing with the cold has been the most difficult part of the challenge. It's an adventure that began to wear a little thing -- glad it's over!

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12712 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/3/2012 8:04 PM
They're spreaders. When you have a certain amount of real estate allotted
to a story, but it doesn't quite fill it,

A spreader refers to something different. The item here is a call-out.

A call-out is used to break up the page visually and call attention to a really stimulating point that you want readers to get, no matter what.

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12713 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/3/2012 8:05 PM
They're not subheads either.

A subhead is like a headline, except that it designates the content of just one section. It's not a quote pulled from the text.

sheila

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12714 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/3/2012 8:07 PM
Pull quotes? First I've heard the term. All the years I've worked with them, with a variety of editors etc, they've been called call-outs.

sheila

Author: knighttof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12715 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/3/2012 8:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
It's an adventure that began to wear a little thing

is that someone's Freudian slip showing?

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12716 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/3/2012 11:24 PM
It's an adventure that began to wear a little thing
is that someone's Freudian slip showing?

Well done, and well said! ;-)

When will I start taking that needed moment to proof my comments!

Actually....it was much much too cold to wear just "a little thing." The cold was really tough to deal with--the most difficult part of the challenge, actually. Far too cold for a Freudian slip!

The adventure began to wear thin. So glad it wasn't a day longer!

sheila

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12717 of 13898
Subject: Re: is there a name for it? Date: 11/4/2012 12:10 AM
"...Freudian slip..."

I once bought my wife one of those. Ooops, wait a minute, that was a Frederick's of Hollywood slip.... Never mind.

~aj

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement