Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Is there a way to apply for an exception to the 50% penalty for taking too little from an IRA? The individual (age 76) was hospitalized from mid-November through part of January and so unable to withdraw the remaining portion (about 10% of the total.)

The procedure is as follows (per Pub 590 except for step 2):

1. File the 2006 return and include the penalty.

2. Withdraw the balance of the 2006 RMD now.

3. Submit a request, signed under penalty of perjury (see the jurat on the 1040), for refund. Basically, include the information you cited, plus the facts that the deficiency has been cured and (we hope) all previous RMD's have been taken.

I suspect they'll refund it. I've seen them refund for a lot less reason.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.