Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there a way to start a qualified state tuition program account with any discount broker and manage it with stocks rather than mutual funds? Where can I find more info about Qualified state tuition programs?

You cannot start a 529 plan account with your discount broker. These are state-sponsored investment programs and each state (often through a third party vendor such as Fidelity, TIAA-CREF, or Merrill Lynch)offers an investment program that you may not direct yourself. Info at
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.