Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Is there any provision for me being able to redeposit the same amount of money in the same year?

Yes. It's called a Rollover. You have 60 days from the distribution date to put the money back into a Roth IRA (could be the same or a different account, BTW). You can only do this once every 12 months (measured from the date of distribution, IIRC). And that is 60 days. No exceptions for holidays, weekends, vacations, dogs eating the paperwork, or natural disasters. 60 days, period. If the 60th day is a Sunday, you really have only 59 (or 58) days.

So if by "a few months" you mean "two" you're set.

Assume the qualifications on seasoning the account and age at withdrawal are met.

They don't need to be met to do a rollover. But if they are, you simply have a tax-free distribution if you don't get the money back in the account within 60 days. Not exactly the end of the world, tax-wise anyway.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.