Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
is there any solid reason why somebody in there mid 30s who cannot have a roth ira, or the deductibility of a traditional ira to still contribute to an ira just not deduct it.

You report your nondeductible contributions on Form 8606, Part I, which is attached to your 1040. (One 8606 for each of you)

IMO whether you should make nondeductible traditional IRA contributions depends on how you intend to invest. If your investment mix includes assets which yield current ordinary income (short-term holdings, dividends, interest), an IRA is a good place to keep them. You'll not be taxed on these ordinary income items until retirement, and then possibly at a lower rate than during your working years.

OTOH, if you intend to invest long-term in stocks that don't pay dividends, you're probably better off holding them in a taxable account. There will be no tax until you sell, and then at a reduced rate not available for gains within an IRA.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.