Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there any way I can change an utma to another type of account?

I'm assuming that the background to this question is that you don't like the UTMA account for some reason. I think the most common reason here is the "What if they buy a new car with their college fund?" concern.

I did something that you may want to consider, but read the law carefully to make sure it applies to you. Instead of paying my child's private school tuition from my current income, I withdrew money from his UTMA account to pay the tuition and then deposited the same amount from my current income into a different account earmarked for his college education. In this way, there is the same amount of money earmarked for college expenses, but I gradually drain the UTMA account. You may be able to find expenses which are large enough to use for this purpose that meet the UTMA account rules. As I remember them, the withdrawals had to be for the benefit of the child.

A side benefit of this is that in our particular case, this enabled us to realize about $700 in capital gains, the majority of which are not taxed because my son is a minor. These CG's would have been taxed had we held onto the UTMA and later realized them, say, when he was a freshman.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.