Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
Is there any way I can redistribute this risk, perhaps into new accounts in another family members name? Can you create IRAs for infants (crazy question)? I don't want to give away the money to charity as I'd like to allow it to grow, just in a more diversified way.

Your screen name made me think you may have a Kansas connection, but a Kansan would already know that pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered. No, you can't cash in your gains, pay no taxes, and keep control of your money by pretending it belongs to someone else. In the ugly city we call that fraud.

Try looking at taxes this way. Your goal is to be in the 35% bracket. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay into it.

Unless the infant has earned income there's no IRA contribution available, but you can look into the education savings programs described in IRS Publication 970.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.