Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is there any way that a municipal bond based money market mutual fund could separate the long-term capital gains generated by prudent asset management from the remainder of the fund and sell them to investors eager to own capital gains because of their favorable tax treatment? I would like to retain the other income the investment generates, income that is taxed as 'ordinary income."

But the ordinary income is the part that's tax-exempt muni. bond interest. And if it's a money-market-type portfolio, the return is pretty low to begin with.

From my perspective the income tax filing complications I experience because I have to recognize a less-than $100 long-term capital gain end up costing me way more than the value received.

How complicated can it be? Is the problem that what you actually have is a short-term bond fund that you use to write checks on, so that every check generates a 1099-B transaction? If so, then you need to use a real money market fund, that maintains a $1 share price.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.