No. of Recommendations: 0
Is there any way that I can roll the fund into an IRA or any other account without paying capital gains taxes? No. If there were any way out, people wouldn't pay that job-destroying tax. If you have some unrealized capital losses, you could realize them in the same tax year as the gains, to cancel out some or all of the tax due. Otherwise, you can spread the gain out over several years by selling part of the position each year.

There isn't any best way to invest specifically to recoup your money. The performance of your next investment will not be influenced by the performance of your prior investment. Your choice of that next investment will be influenced by prior experience. I've been more prosperous, happier and more relaxed since I quit trying to beat the market and put most of my money in the Vanguard S&P index fund and Schwab 1000 index fund.


Chips, inveterate indexer
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.