Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My employer pays my college tuition for a degree related to my job. I understand that I should be able to take some kind of Lifetime Learning credit for the tuition, even if it paid for by my employer. When I did my taxes, however, I came up not qualifying because I had $103 too high an income in 2000. Most of the extra income was from the forced sale of some stocks that I didn't know about (broker account handled it all... I'm in the process of ditching the broker now!). I am still not sure what caused the sale of the stocks. Itemizing won't help me, but I was wondering if there are any things that I can do retroactively (like sale of a stock at a loss) or something to reduce my income by a few hundred dollars?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.