UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ZLegLogos One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 118  
Subject: Re: who does databases and Web sites professiona Date: 10/19/2004 2:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there anything in particular that you would like to discuss?

yeah, dt. thanks.

i'm trying to figure out pricing. i have done it in terms of hours, and have had clients won and lost because of it. but hours don't really reflect a long term effort level. it's a bit like doing software only moreso.

what i mean is that there's clearly some reuse of technique and code possible. sure, there are going to be changes, most cosmetic, some not. and there will be changes because of the latest security announcements and such. but i don't really know how to set a good rate for the long term here.

also, sometimes it pays to learn a new technique for a client, both for them and also because that might be something new clients might be interested in. Bittorrent or streaming media in PHP, for example. it's not entirely fair to assess them for it -- not to mention their balking at it -- but the alternative is never to offer such a thing until it gets "paid" for. that doesn't seem like the right way to go.

i have always tried to be open and honest with my prices and provide my clients with good value. i am also willing to be more transparent about how i price than many Web developers are. (i worked for an active full-time shop for a couple of years prior and during The Bubble.) but then i see prices offered for Web sites which are ridiculously low, even if the whole thing is being done in India or some place, and i'm wondering what's going on. do the developers just hook the client and then string 'em out, getting money as they go? how do they do that low-ball price without even seeing a specification? are these not genuine developers at all but jerks masquerading as developers just there to spoil the party?

what are your experiences here?

in other businesses, as far as i can tell, the means of setting prices is knowing who you are, who you want to be, who your customers are, and then knowing your established competition and their customers, and setting your price as an offset from theirs. this is a bit tougher in software and Web development, although i have amassed a bunch of research collecting exactly that kind of information.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement