Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
When I was young, in the early 60s, grandma gave me a birth gift of AT&T, a total of 14 shares byt 1964. fast forward to the Bell break up, and I ended up with some AT&T and 3-10 shares in each of the baby bells. Dad convinced me to invest it all into Bellsouth, which I mostly did. One lot of the sales I invested with the stockbroker whree my friend worked - she convinced me he would treat me right. It was a $700 lesson (20 years ago) in scam investing. He put me in a known retail company which must have been paying broker commissions b/c it went waaay up then crashed hard and never recovered. that $700 would probably be $5000 in BellSouth today, w/ splits and drips.
Anyway, over the years, I have done some investing. Some good, some not so good. My other legacy to AT&T - the 100 shares of Lucent, which was worth $99 share five years ago when I was investing more cash - is now worth $2.50 share. My MCI - a bomb - fortunately, i got out before I was skinned. Brother convinced me to change a modest mutual fund to a Telecom mutual fund 6-7 or so years ago - another bust.

But the real joke? I have tried to Get OUT of AT&T THREE TIMES - The original shares of AT&T, which I held till 6 or 7 years ago; the TCI Satellite, which became AT&T; Comcast (which we don't even remember buying) became T and lost a ton when they did a reverse split .... I FINALLY mailed off those certificates to cash out a few weeks ago, still don't have the paltry remainder of that fiasco.
And now, BellSouth, my biggest drip holding, which I have gifted to both my daughters and my brother and a friend, which we all hold a combined 400+ shares (biggest portfolio component) is going to become AT&T.
I want to sell ASAP, while it is up on the news. Do you think the rise will be short-lived?. I do NOT want more stock in T. I am really, finally done with Telecom.
When we heard the news this morning, dh just looked at me and laughed - we can't get rid of AT&T, no matter how hard we try!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement