Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Lyono1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 70  
Subject: Is this board dead? Date: 12/3/2001 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The last post on this board was in september. Does anyone pay attention to Vans anymore? I've just recently become interested in the company and would like to discuss its future prospects.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: thebobdog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 12/5/2001 1:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm still around. Throw some questions or comments out and I'll see what I can help you with.

B

Author: Lyono1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 12/5/2001 4:20 PM
I read an article in Newsweek about Vans some time ago and it got me interested in the company. I haven't done too much research (waiting for the annual report to come in) on the financial side. From what I know of the company I think it is a good investment. The X-Games are huge, Warped Tour is huge, I own a couple pairs of vans, all my friends own vans, the Vans skatepark tour recently came to my area; it seems that the lifestyle the company caters to is only becoming more and more popular. What is your opinion of the company and its earnings potential?

Author: thebobdog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 12/9/2001 12:51 AM
What is your opinion of the company and its earnings potential?

I don't have time to get into too many details, but generally I agree with you on Vans. The skateparks seem to be doing great business. The one I pass by from time to time always seems to have a good number of people in there. And, as snowboarding gets more popular, I'm sure that Vans will be able to gain access to more and more customers.

The only problem that I have is that Mills Corp. (Vans partner on at least 3 skateparks) choose ESPN for it's most recent skatepark and doesn't have any deals in the works with Vans currently. This makes me nervous as they were an early convert to the skatepark concept. Other than that, I'm worried that as Vans becomes more accepted by the main stream they may have trouble maintaining their brand with their original customers.

That's about my only concerns off the top of my head. I'll see what else I can think of later.

B

Author: orangeP One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 12/11/2001 2:00 PM
Hi, any thoughts on financial matters regarding the company? I know about the brand and all that but I'm still learning to read the numbers.
I'm an ex-skater myself so I'm glad to see that a company like Vans has been able to be successful like they have. I think the brand will get stronger, not weaker even if they get more mainstream. Like other once-alternative culture stuff like punk rock, skateboarding, snowboarding, hiphop, techno, etc. it seems like the mainstream is gravitating to these things more and more as these things have already become mainstream. It's corporate marketing's way to gain credibility with the youth of today. So if anything, that gives Vans a head start cause they old schoolers when it comes to credibility with the alt kids.

What I know of reading financials the company looks good. Would appreciate some more feedback on that though.

Author: Lyono One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 57 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 12/12/2001 10:57 AM

orangeP

i requested an annual report a few weeks ago, once i get that i'll start crunching some numbers and get back to you.

Author: orangeP One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 58 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 12/14/2001 11:51 AM
Thanks!

Author: sk84fun Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 1/14/2002 8:55 AM
Mills Corp. (Vans partner on at least 3 skateparks) choose ESPN for it's most recent skatepark and doesn't have any deals in the works with Vans currently.

Actually, according to rumors w/in the organization, the Mills corp had finished building space specifically for a new park when the president of skateparks backed out before skatepark construction could begin. This effectively severed any future relationship b/t Vans and the Mills family.

S

Author: sk84fun Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 1/14/2002 8:58 AM
FYI, Financials including quarterly filings and insider filings are available online at http://www.edgar-online.com/bin/esearch/default.asp?QT=1&query=vans&date=1994

S

Author: thebobdog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 61 of 70
Subject: Re: Is this board dead? Date: 1/14/2002 1:45 PM
Actually, according to rumors w/in the organization, the Mills corp had finished building space specifically for a new park when the president of skateparks backed out before skatepark construction could begin.

Good to know. They (MLS) just told me that they choose ESPN over Vans for the bigger brand name and had no plans to develop other Vans parks.

Thanks for the info.

B

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement