UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: morgaine1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10363  
Subject: Is this possible? Date: 9/6/2004 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I want to set things up so both my roommate and I can use Quicken to track our finances. We do not share financial info or accounts. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
cathy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MFDnSC Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5180 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/6/2004 4:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Absolutely, FILE NEW, then you open which file is needed, i.e. yours or your roomies. There is no relationship between the files.

Author: station9 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5181 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/6/2004 4:12 PM
File | New | New Quicken File

This will allow you to create a separate file for your roommate. You could even password your separate files to prevent each other from viewing them.

station9

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5182 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/7/2004 7:39 AM
Absolutely. File|New Quicken File (may vary by Q edition). Then you get a new register file that you name uniquely.

I have my own account and each of my son's has their own account (all password protected). Each account has numerous brokerage accounts, credit card accounts, etc. Everything is kept separate, even the custom categories each person set up and the automatic entries each created. Quote downloads and downloaded transactions are kept separate as well.

As a treasurer of my Scout troop, I also run that through the same Quicken.

BACKUP regularly. Each account must be backed up separately (either from within each account or just use a small batch file to backup all at once).

glh

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5183 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/7/2004 5:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
BACKUP regularly. Each account must be backed up separately (either from within each account or just use a small batch file to backup all at once).

A file can contain several accounts, i.e., brokerage, checking, savings, credit card, etc. I believe you must back up each file separately, rather than each account.

Respectfully,

Donna

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5184 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/7/2004 5:21 PM
Open Quicken as normal for one user. Go to File, New and create a second set of Quicken files - preferably in a different directory - for the other user.

I recommend you find the two *.QIF files and put shortcuts to them on the desktop. (Note, don't bother with shortcuts to the internal backups! - you can spot them by their path.)

Then you can start either one by clicking on the appropriate desktop shortcut. (Opening Quicken will open whichever of the two was most recently used.)

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5185 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/8/2004 7:50 AM
A file can contain several accounts, i.e., brokerage, checking, savings, credit card, etc. I believe you must back up each file separately, rather than each account.

Of course. Sloppy sentence construction on my part. However since you can only backup files and not individual accounts, hopefully no one was led too far astray.

My fear is that someone will diligently backup their "file" and think that they have backed up all the other files, particularly if they use only one file predominantly. That's why I use a batch file (based on xcopy) to copy all the Quicken data files at the same time. I do not use the backup feature in Quicken at all; with multiple files that takes too long since you have to open each file first.

glh

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5186 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/8/2004 1:06 PM
I do not use the backup feature in Quicken at all; with multiple files that takes too long since you have to open each file first.

If your multiple files correspond with multiple users, then no problem: each user is responsible for backing up his own files.

(Or, you use the system-wide backup facility - if you have one.)

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5187 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/8/2004 9:22 PM
That's why I use a batch file (based on xcopy) to copy all the Quicken data files at the same time. I do not use the backup feature in Quicken at all; with multiple files that takes too long since you have to open each file first.

Walk me through this. I only have one Quicken file, but it is rather extensive since it contains about 15 accounts. To what medium do you copy? I would appreciate your walking me through this, if possible, as that seems to be the answer to my prayers. I have attempted to back up the file using my CD-RW, but I'm not too pleased with the results.

Best wishes,

Donna

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5188 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/8/2004 9:41 PM
Walk me through this. I only have one Quicken file, but it is rather extensive since it contains about 15 accounts. To what medium do you copy?

On my old computer, using Q99 Deluxe, I backed up to zip disk. On my new computer, using Q2004 Deluxe, the zip backup had some glitches. Maybe I could have worked the bugs out, maybe I couldn't; I just started backing up to CD-R's since my new computer could do that. I back up to subdirectories named "Quicken Backup yyyy-mm-dd", and the directories sort nicely in chronological order. When one CD-R gets full, I close it out to be read by all drives and start the next one.

CD-R's are cheap. I can afford to back up this way for a long, long time.

Patzer

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5189 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/9/2004 8:30 AM
Recommendations: 2
Donna,

Here is what I do which works for me. I use a batch file that backs up all my Quicken data files at once. Each of these Quicken data files contains numerous accounts, so this is not a problem. Size of the backup is a problem as it defines what media you can use.

My personal Quicken file alone is over 15 meg in size (this file is composed of at least 4 separate quicken files -- MyName.QDX, MyName.QDF, MyName.QDL, and MyName.IDX -- there are also two smaller files that track other items that are not essential and don't change much but I copy them too -- MyName.QTX and MyName.NPC).

I also copy my two sons accounts (containing mostly brokerage accounts).

I use this batch file to copy to a USB drive (drive F on my computer) for transport between computers [you have to change the locations for your computer and use the "marks" to enclose any long file names]:

xcopy c:\quickenw\MyName.* "F:\quicken files\*.*" /a /c /f /u /y
xcopy c:\quickenw\Son1Name.* "F:\quicken files\*.*" /a /c /f /u /y
xcopy c:\quickenw\Son2Name.* "F:\quicken files\*.*" /a /c /f /u /y

By adding more lines and changing target locations I can also copy the files to a hard drive location or to a CD formated as a floppy at the same time.

I also periodically copy from my HD to a CDR formated to be read in any computer.

Typically I have a current copy of my data on two computers, backed to the USB and to a HD. I backup to a CDRW weekly and to a CDR monthly. For the latter, I keep sequential files (not overwritten previous files) so that I have a better record -- I know -- pretty anal. This requires creating separate directories for each backup (different xcopy switches used, but that is pretty complex).

Sounds more complex than it is. Set up some dummy files (copies of anything, not necessarily Q files) on your computer and copy them to another location as an experiment; you can do it.

glh

Information on xcopy and its switches can be found by typing -- xcopy /? -- in a command box (type in CMD or Command) opened from the Run command.

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5190 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/9/2004 12:21 PM
I use this batch file to copy to a USB drive (drive F on my computer) for transport between computers [you have to change the locations for your computer and use the "marks" to enclose any long file names]:

xcopy c:\quickenw\MyName.* "F:\quicken files\*.*" /a /c /f /u /y

With that /u option on xcopy, you have to set up the USB drive by manually copying the files you want to back up onto it once (or by using the xcopy command above without the /u option once to copy all the files that start with MyName). Otherwise, the xcopy command won't copy any files.

Maybe better to just remove the /u part, if you don't mind backing up all the files.

Phil

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5191 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/9/2004 2:32 PM
Maybe better to just remove the /u part, if you don't mind backing up all the files.

Right you are. I was getting some other files copied (MyName?????.log files) that I didn't want copied back and forth. So rather than think of some exclude language I just manually copied the files I wanted to copy to the USB and then used the /u switch. I need to keep it simple or even I can't follow my original logic after a few weeks.

Since I neglected to tell the OP how to save and use a batch file I don't think I have helped much anyway.

glh

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5192 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/9/2004 9:47 PM
I just started backing up to CD-R's since my new computer could do that. I back up to subdirectories named "Quicken Backup yyyy-mm-dd", and the directories sort nicely in chronological order. When one CD-R gets full, I close it out to be read by all drives and start the next one.

This is where I am having a problem. I have a CD-RW, and have attempted to backup my Q2003 file to that medium. However, an error message appears stating that the CD needs formatting. How to do?

Thanks,

Donna

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5193 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/9/2004 9:51 PM
I purchased a Maxtor One Touch for my office computer and it is working so beautifully in the backup department. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing one for my home office here to backup my Quicken and QuickBook files.

Donna

Author: horacekgl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5194 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/10/2004 8:29 AM
This is where I am having a problem. I have a CD-RW, and have attempted to backup my Q2003 file to that medium. However, an error message appears stating that the CD needs formatting. How to do?

Depending on what CD writing software you are using there is an option to make a CD that acts as a floppy. Look for that language, or "drag and drop", or something indicating that you can manipulate files directly onto the CD by Windows Explorer). For Roxio Easy CD Creator (which I use) , the options are: Make A Data CD, then Direct CD. This will open a dialog to format the CD as you want it. For a CDRW you can do this numerous times, for a CDR you get only one shot.

I don't use CDRWs at all or even use CDRs in this fashion as I have found them to be too unreliable (sometimes the files just disappear or are unreadable) and, in the case of CDRWs, they are not worth the extra cash.

Instead I just accumulate files on my HD and write a CDR (closing the session, but not the disk). [This is under Make A Data CD |Data CD Project in Roxio]. I can read the finished disk in any CD reader and if I want to add more files I can add them by the same process (it asks if I want to save the previous files in the new session -- if yes, then they are added along with the new files to another session). This eats up the space on the CDR (duplicate copies of files remain from the previous burn, plus new files added to these copied files, plus some overhead) and only the last session is readable, but CDRs are almost free if you watch the special offers you see everywhere. I don't remember the last time I had a failed disk.

I like the fact that at any time a disk created this way is out of the computer it is readable if need be. This is not always the case with a CD created by "drag and drop". There is always the possiblity (finite and greater than a few percent probability) that when the 'open' CD is inserted it will not be readable for some archane reason. I have a commercial software package (CD Diagnositics) that can recover some of these disk disasters as the risk of an unreadable disk is finite. For example, I would have lost the digital images from our Philmont adventure had I not had this program.

Good luck,

glh

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5195 of 10363
Subject: Re: Is this possible? Date: 9/10/2004 8:30 AM
I have a CD-RW, and have attempted to backup my Q2003 file to that medium. However, an error message appears stating that the CD needs formatting. How to do?

I own very few CD-RW disks. The common report is that CD-RW doesn't take a massive number of rewrites before going bad. Tests on my system show that to re-write with my software, I have to reformat the disk and start over. Since this is nowhere near like having a floppy or zip disk that is truly rewritable, I just abandoned the concept of using CD-RWs in any major way.

Yes, I do have to format the CD-R before writing to it. I think some CD-RWs come preformatted? I do recall formatting at least one CD-RW, but it formated like a CD-R. A lot depends on the software you have for using the CD-R drive; different software packages act differently. If it were vitally important to me, I'd research which software had the most convenient interface and go buy it; as things stand, I use the software package that came with my computer at home, and the package my employer provided for my work computer. They function differently, and I just deal with it.

Patzer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement