UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 42341  
Subject: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/7/2004 4:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The other post that brought up sciatica make me think about this.

On and off for the past few weeks I've had this pain in the butt (Ha, ha, literally!) It actually is in my left hip and it feels like it is centered right smack dab in the middle of that joint. Ocassionally the pain goes down the back of my left leg to almost the knee.

It comes and goes - sometimes I feel nothing at all and last night it was so bad I didn't sleep well. In fact, when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (ah the joys of pregnancy!) it was hard to walk on it. As I sit here the pain is sort of dull but if I get up and try to stand on my left leg only, it hurts!

Most days it's nothing, or just a twinge. Sometimes it acts up after I exercise. Yesterday DH and the doggies and I walked about 3 miles and it was a couple of hours after we got back that it started to hurt. But that's not unusual activity for us -- we do it 2-3 times a week.

I've read about sciatica during pregnancy as the uterus presses on nerves that run down the legs. But I thought that was mainly a 3rd trimester problem and I'm just 13 weeks along! I do have a scheduled doctor's appointment in a few days and will ask about it then but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced something similar in early pregnancy?

Thanks,
sjfans
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lizmonster Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14950 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/7/2004 4:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I've read about sciatica during pregnancy as the uterus presses on nerves that run down the legs. But I thought that was mainly a 3rd trimester problem and I'm just 13 weeks along! I do have a scheduled doctor's appointment in a few days and will ask about it then but I was wondering if anybody else had experienced something similar in early pregnancy?

I've had hip/back problems for quite a while, although I couldn't tell you which week they started. Given the loosening up the pelvis does during all of this, it didn't really surprise me. Definitely mention the pain to your doctor; but AFAIK hip pain is within the normal parameters, even at 13 weeks.

-lizmonster, 34 weeks, no sciatica yet but REALLY grumbly aches!

Author: Aranknitter Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14951 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/7/2004 4:59 PM
Well, I don't know about any other people who experienced this so I don't know if I was *normal* or not. But my third baby was lower than the first two, I never had sciatica with the first two. I got it at around 36 weeks with #3, and I delivered at 38 weeks. For those two weeks, the pain was severe when I tried to walk but less so when I was still. It seemed to run down the inside of my leg, from the top to the calf. And it was worse than childbirth in the last two days, too - having had three kids via normal labor and vaginal delivery, I *am* qualified to make that particular comparison!!!

I wasn't induced though, I started labor at 38 weeks naturally. Six hours of labor, 20 mins pushing, and he was born, so it wasn't your "typical" preemie labor that would drag on for hours because it's too early... even though I was 38 weeks only, #3 was obviously ready to be born. However, if I hadn't started labor normally, I might well have begged to be induced... sciatica is NO FUN after almost 2 weeks of it.

Author: MitsouR Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14955 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/7/2004 5:24 PM
I had similar pain starting at around 23 weeks (but I was carrying twins). It really struck when my husband and I took our "last vacation as non-parents" to Puerto Vallarta. I was hobbling around and the trip was generally not a lot of fun, unfortunately. It was made worse by the terrible swelling I got in my feet and ankles.

Best of luck to you.

MitsouR
So glad not to be pregnant any more!!!!!!

Author: TeacherH Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14958 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/7/2004 6:15 PM
My pelvis went loose in the second trimester, making my SI joint go out. I was MISERABLE. My doc sent me to PT and it really helped. Something to keep in mind.

Good luck!

Author: countrygrrl Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14962 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/7/2004 7:43 PM
I had it a bit during my first trimester and at the beginning of second. I was told it's because the body is changing - despite the fact that I wasn't real big by then. I think it's just par for the course.

Author: pacigirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14989 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/9/2004 8:55 AM
sjfans,

I am 24 weeks along and have had this on and off since about 10 weeks. So, I don't think it is unusual for you to be experiencing this so soon. My massage therapist has worked on it several times and I get relief for a day or two then it comes back. My aunt, who does physical therapy, worked on it this weekend and showed me some stretches I could perform to help relieve this pain. The stretching really helps a lot. The thing that triggers it the quickest is if I wear a heel of any type. Sandals and sneakers with good support seem to be the best to prevent this. Also, make sure to sleep on your sides and not your back. This will help the blood flow properly.

-pacigirl

Author: 42rochelle Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14994 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/9/2004 2:29 PM
I had a similiar problem from about 10 to 15 weeks. I found it helped to wear a maternity belt to give the baby a bit of support.

At about 15 weeks the baby popped up and at 32 weeks I still haven't had a reoccurance of the sciatica problem.

42rocky

Author: Wingenit Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15065 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/14/2004 2:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
sjfans,

Be sure to put a pillow between your legs when you sleep on your side at night. This will support your loosening hip joints & help prevent a lot of the hip & back pains.

Wingenit

Author: CountessEvil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15071 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/14/2004 6:59 PM
Recommendations: 1

Be sure to put a pillow between your legs when you sleep on your side at night. This will support your loosening hip joints & help prevent a lot of the hip & back pains.

Wingenit

Just wanted to second this suggestion, I couldn't sleep those last two months without one.
And if by some chance I did without, I could barely walk that next morning.

Countess

Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15091 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/15/2004 3:04 PM
So I had my regularly scheduled appointment today and asked the nurse practitioner about this...

She says it's probably just a normal stretching/growing pain. We didn't get into a long discussion about it as the office was slammed since the OB had been called away to a delivery this morning.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really want to get back into a good exercise and stretching routine and I think that will help a lot. As far as sleeping positions, I will try the pillow between the legs. The bad thing is that I prefer to sleep on my left side and the pain is in my left hip. I can still sleep on my back and my stomach without problems and sometimes that helps too.

We also have one (and sometimes 2) dogs that think they deserve to sleep in the bed, too, and they really make it difficult to get comfy sometimes. As the weather gets warmer, this will be less of a problem.

sjfans

Author: wrnglrjan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15096 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/15/2004 3:21 PM
I really want to get back into a good exercise and stretching routine and I think that will help a lot.

I had this same kind of pain, sjfans, and the pillow helped a lot, but stretching in yoga helped more.

I don't know if you have done yoga at all, but a couple of poses that really, really helped me are Cobblers, Extended Child's and Pigeon. All focus on opening up the hips. Be careful not to stretch too far the first few times, because you'll probably find that you're more flexible than you used to be and while your joints are all good with that, your tendons and muscles might not have had a chance to catch up and you can hurt something.

Oh, I don't know if you get a chance to get in the pool at all, but we do a stretch for my water aerobics class that is pure heaven on the hips. Hanging onto the side of the pool, walk your feet up the side of the pool and out. So you're basically standing spread-legged against the side. Kind of like a gymnast mounting the uneven bars in a straddle, if that helps. Then you just let your weight pull your butt down and hold yourself up with your arms. It does a really nice stretch for your groin and hip flexors. I haven't found any way to duplicate it on solid ground.

I have the dog/bed issue, too, at my house. The dog has had to adjust to the idea of spending some nights in his crate. Nobody is a bigger dog nut than I am, but getting some comfortable sleep just has to come first.

Jan

Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15098 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/15/2004 3:51 PM
I had this same kind of pain, sjfans, and the pillow helped a lot, but stretching in yoga helped more.

I've never tried yoga but I know there are a lot of good pregnancy yoga tapes on the market. Maybe I'll see if any of my preggy friends have something I could try.

I have the dog/bed issue, too, at my house. The dog has had to adjust to the idea of spending some nights in his crate. Nobody is a bigger dog nut than I am, but getting some comfortable sleep just has to come first.

I'm beginning to think my dogs are spoiled rotten. One of them is perfectly happy to sleep anywhere, anytime. But sometimes when we go to go to bed he's already laid claim to it (right in the middle, head on the pillow, thank-you-very-much.) He'll jump right off if we tell him to, though. If we do try to get in bed with him, he soon gets hot and uncomfortable and leaves on his own. This dog's not the problem.

The other dog is, well, special. She's totally deaf and I think she likes to sleep where she can feel if one of us gets up since she can't hear what's going on. Fortunately, she's usually content to sleep at the foot of the bed. But she does wiggle around a lot at night. If we tell her to go (well, point at) her bed on the floor she'll go there and go to sleep but we always wake up with her on the bed again. She's cute, but annoying sometimes.

Thanks for all the advice!
sjfans
(who also wonders what kind of baby-dog issues we'll have after the little one arrives...)

Author: wrnglrjan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15103 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/15/2004 5:00 PM
wonders what kind of baby-dog issues we'll have after the little one arrives...

FWIW, this is part of the reason we started using the crate at bedtime more. I really don't want him to associate baby arriving with a loss of stuff he likes. So we're trying to make as much of that transition as we can now.

Jan

Author: satie27 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15104 of 42341
Subject: Re: Is this pregnancy related? Date: 4/15/2004 5:56 PM
I've never tried yoga but I know there are a lot of good pregnancy yoga tapes on the market. Maybe I'll see if any of my preggy friends have something I could try.

I took prenatal yoga with first pregnancy and it really helped (lots of aching hip and sciaitic nerve type aches). I am on pregnancy #2 and start back at yoga next week. The link below is the video that is available from my yoga teacher. Just in case you don't find any tapes to borrow and are in the market for one. :)

http://www.seattleholisticcenter.com/store/prenatal_video.shtml

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement