Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We got a check for $18 in 2011 as a settlement for excessive foreign transaction fees charged by our credit card company. Seems to me that as a return of an overcharge, this should not be taxable. But you can't be too careful. Taxable or no?

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Not taxable unless you were deducting whatever it was that generated the fee that your credit card overcharged.

IOW - the taxability follows the original purchase. If the purchase was deductible, then the refund is taxable. If the purchase was not deductible, the refund is not taxable.

Print the post Back To Top