UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: helpmedave One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886578  
Subject: Re: non-profit board member? Date: 11/4/2012 12:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Ish,

I have served on several non-profit boards through the years. I am cuurently the President of one I have served on for 17 years (4th tour of duty as the President). I am also the secretary for a new non-profit that has been going for less than a year. I was just elected V-P of our new homeowners association, that functions in many ways like a non-profit. Money has always been the biggest issue with the non-profits I have served. Who will raie it? How will we raise it? Who will have access to it? How will we spend it? Here are some ideas I have experience with:

Some banks will offer non-profits free checking accounts. In our area this is Wells Fargo. Not all banks will offer this.

One non-profit start-up I worked with approached a local law school and they handled all of the paper work for us for free. I have also served on a Board where a local lawyer completed everything for us as a service to the community. She had also been affected by our non-profits primary purpose (to assist porblem gamblers and their familes.

Each group I have served on successfully had a clear mission and stuck to that mission. I have resigned from Boards that changed their missions or strayed from their primary mission.

The Board I am the secretary for (GLBT mentoring program for teens) has collaborated with other local mentoring programs. In doing so, we recently were awarded a 25,000 grant. Collaboration can offer some wonderful rewards. The group we collaborted with was well established and it helped to raise the awareness of our new non-profit.

Each non-profit needs "idea people" and "worker bees". I have served in both roles.

I resigned from one Board after only two meetings when I found out I was expected, as a Board member, to sit in bars and sell t-shirts to raise money.

Those are some things off the top of my bald head. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer.

Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement