UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: nggCatgoyle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Me vs. My Parents $40K Debt (Long) Date: 9/9/2004 3:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
IslandFoolin,

Let me start by congratulating you on your interest in educating yourself on financial matters, and for your willingness to step up to the plate to try to help your parents get their financial house in order. Even though your dad has made the unFoolish decision to tap into the pension funds, you can still help guide them in using them wisely to resolve their debt issues and stay out of future trouble.

I frankly do not think your folks are ready to meet with a Certified Financial Planner at this point. Instead, I'd recommend that you convince them to meet with a credit counselor. If there's credit union locally, that's a good place to start a search for one. I have a long-time friend who does this for a living, and she is very skilled at helping people learn to live within their means, solve debt problems, improve budgeting skills, and adopt better money management strategies. Assistance from a credit counselor should be lower cost than from a CFP. Once they've gotten the basics more under control, advice from a CFP will be more worthwhile.

Good luck with this project, and I hope you enjoy life in the VI!

Cori
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement