Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
isnt it true that if he buys "like property" within a certain period
of time, he only pays tax on the dif between what he paid and what he sold...

Only the 1031 exchanges already discussed in this thread. They must be set up BEFORE the sale.

or is it that he gets a one-time sale of his home, and if he buys a new home with the $$, there is no tax involved...

and isnt there some kind of benefit for a one-time sale of your home
once you have reached a certain age???

Nope, those are both older tax laws. Tax law changes. Now there is a $250,000 exemption on gains from the sale of your personal residence if you've living in it for two years out of the previous five years.

- Megan
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.