UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SGTDolph Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30  
Subject: Re: What Constitutes a Good Investment? Date: 6/8/2012 9:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
ISPYVALUE,

First off as an EXPERT you probably forgot that the stock market is 90% emotion. Good news means up and bad news means down, regardless if it is valid or not or even in direct correlation to the stock at hand.

I worked as an advisor for many years and quite frankly got tired of the emotion. I look at every investment that I have as a good investment, until it goes to zero and disappears off my statement.

If you remember that everything runs in cycles, what is not doing so well today, may tomorrow be the next best stock idea you ever had. Furthermore, if you have a stock that is anchored to the bottom then put some more money in it, if you still believe in it. This will lower your cost basis and when it does come back up, you can sell it for a gain instead of leaving it at the bottom of the ocean.

I never sell a stock unless I can benefit from a gain. If it is in the red I either hang on to it until it's cycle comes back around or I put more money in it to lower the basis and speed up the getting into the black process.

You can do all the analysis, technical or fundamental, that you want and even put your self into what I call "analysis paralysis" and still be wrong. That is because somewhere in this vast universe of media updated every second, some bad news has occured and the majority of the population correlates it all together.

Good Luck! If you do find a secret squirl answer to this question, please make sure I am the second and only other person to know. We will then get rich off writing a book about it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement