UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dex22 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 66211  
Subject: iSwitched Date: 8/8/2002 4:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
Hi all,

Well, my new Mac arrived yesterday. Here's my impressions:

The box was wrapped in a liner, so it didn't get scratched up. Lovely. I opened the top and there was a liner card. It had a nice colour picture of the keyboard and mouse. Cute. I lifted it, and found the keyboard and mouse. Unpacking was a joy. The styrofoam mouldings were very thoughtfully designed.

What can I say? The quicksilver Mac is very pretty. Opening the case is a doddle. Everything seems to be laid out sensibly.

Powering up for the first time was a joy. It detected my monitor's capabilities, and asked me some signup info, and invited me to give Apple some money for .Mac. I passed up on that offer - I can do it all with the server sat next to the Mac anyway ;)

My first day's exploits consisted of exploring the OS X interface, and iTunes. I ripped my CD collection, and was surprised (ok, *SHOCKED*) to find that 'ripping' was faster than on my PC, and that included converting to an MP3 - a separate 1 minute per track task on my Athlon XP 1800+!!!

Anyway, it's day 2 and I am playing with iMovie. I have decided to buy Toast 5. I put in an advance order for OS X 10.2 for $99 on the URl someone linked earlier. I'll be getting a Superdrive in the mail any day now.

The only negative was the two hours it took to work out how to cut and paste. The online help and skimpy manual didn't mention the apple key being used instead of CTRL, and I would have preferred they made mention of it - things like this matter when you're asking people to 'Switch' ;)

I downloaded the distributed net client but have been unable to run it, because it insists the application is a document, and can't find a program to load/view it. If anyone can help me with this, please email me privately. This isn't a negative, because it's not a shortcoming of explanation, I just don't know how to do it!

Marks out of ten? Nine. Excellent. Makes the old PC seem quite lame.

Dex22
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jahford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9504 of 66211
Subject: Re: iSwitched Date: 8/8/2002 4:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
Dex22

If you are a switcher, I would say to pick up a two button mouse with wheel. Sure, old school mac users will tell you the one button mouse is better, and it may be. I say, though, go with what you are used to. With a two button mouse you don't have to use cntrl to get the contextual messages, and the wheel just works.

Just a tip.

As to the ripping, well, I enjoy iTunes better than anything I have on my PC. I use it a lot, but I once you put the songs in there, its not a big deal, so the speed wasn't a big factor, just as long as its not painful.

James

Author: mile011 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9505 of 66211
Subject: Re: iSwitched Date: 8/8/2002 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 1
My first day's exploits consisted of exploring the OS X interface, and iTunes. I ripped my CD collection, and was surprised (ok, *SHOCKED*) to find that 'ripping' was faster than on my PC, and that included converting to an MP3 - a separate 1 minute per track task on my Athlon XP 1800+!!!

Burning is sweet indeed. G4 optimizations rule :) Wait till you discover that burning of an an audio CD can be fairly exactly estimated via simple formula:

Duration of the audio to burn
---------------------------------- + 30 seconds
burner speed

Or for a 64 minute CD, this comes out to 8.5 minutes on my burner. Yeah, and you get no coasters either. As it should be.

So there ya go: first hand experience that macs are overall faster than PCs, even at 1/2 of the clock rate. It's not how fast is the processor, but how much time you spend using it poorly that ends up counting the most.

As for distributed.net - you probably need to download a decompression software. Choice of macintosh users is "stuffit" (extension .sit). I don't know if any came with your computer. You can get those from:
http://www.stuffit.com/

good luck

Author: dsheehy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9508 of 66211
Subject: Re: iSwitched Date: 8/8/2002 6:07 PM
Recommendations: 0
The only negative was the two hours it took to work out how to cut and paste. The online help and skimpy manual didn't mention the apple key being used instead of CTRL, and I would have preferred they made mention of it - things like this matter when you're asking people to 'Switch' ;)

A couple of tips:

1. the keyboard shortcuts are listed next to menu items. The "Apple key" is represented by a kind of hash symbol with loops on the corners (the illustration next to the Apple on the key).

2. The "Apple Key" is usually referred to as the command key these days. Calling it the Apple key probably went out in around 1992. Written documentation usually abbreviates to it to CMD.

3. I concur on getting a multibutton mouse if that's what you are used to.

Apple could use this kind of feedback. I find Apple's current sparse documentation somewhat disconcerting. There was a time when Apple were THE masters of documentation, making absolute gems of manuals and even electronic tutorials. They should get back to those practices. They still do to an extent, Final Cut Pro has a brilliant manual - but their documentation of the OS and free iApps is pretty darn pathetic. I highly recommend "The Missing Manual" books especially for iMovie. Good luck.

David

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement