UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Leviathan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308661  
Subject: Re: Credit debt, any suggestions... Date: 12/10/1999 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It also appears that most of you curse credit as one of the most evil inventions mankind ever invented, right up there with nuclear weapons. I've learned that the irresponsible use of credit can get one into trouble (and I will continue to be reminded of that fact for another 4.5 years), but I also believe that the responsible use of credit can be a blessing.

I don't think of credit cards as evil, but as a bad product for the consumer. Personally, I think the only responsible use of credit is not to use it.

Purchase a house with cash? Yeah right! I don't think this is a realistic option for very many people at all. It's already a shame that so many non-middle/upperclass folk are wasting money on rent when they could be putting the money into building home equity. Online bill pay, convienence at the grocery store, internet mail order, the list goes on and on why credit cards are a godsend. The interest rate on a house or car payment might seem like money tossed in the toilet, but I look at it as a necessary expense for these types of larger purchases. Constantly carrying a $2000 balance on your 19% APR Mastercard is a waste of money. Financing a new Passat... I'd be hard-pressed to see the waste there.

I'll agree that saving up enough cash to buy a house outright is difficult, but not impossible. At the very least you should be saving up to put at least 20% down to avoid having to pay PMI. I've heard the "throwing your money away on rent" argument a lot, but it's not a fair comparison to compare a rent payment to a mortgage payment dollar-for-dollar because of the extra costs you incur when you have a home. Most people are spending too much on rent, which really is throwing money away. As for financing a new car, that's probably one of the worst things you can do. The car will lose somewhere between 40% and 50% of its value within two years. Not only is that money that's lost to you, but you've been paying interest on that "lost" money the whole time. If you can save up enough money to purchase a car for cash, and then do so, you'll be ahead because you will have been paying yourself the interest on that money while you were saving it.

Leviathan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement