No. of Recommendations: 0
It appears that the calculator assumes you have $2000 to invest and if you go with the Roth, you will immediately pay the 39% out of the $2000. If you put $2000 in the Roth (You would still pay taxes but not out of your principal in the IRA) then your lump sum at retirement would be the same, and your after tax withdrawals (now off the same base) would be larger than the Traditional withdrawals since the withdrawals would not be taxed.

I have a feeling that you would put in the $2000 regardless of the tax deduction. The Roth may not be the "best" answer but the calculator can be missleading by the assumption it makes. Of course, you loose the value of that 39% you pay in forgone deductions, the value of which is reflected in the difference in the pre-tax lump sum at retirement amount.

I hope I made sense.

FoolNBlue
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement