UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (85) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Re: 7702 Private Plans (indexed universal life) Date: 3/29/2013 11:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
It appears YOU are the emotional one, Rayvt. What else can be said about someone who INSISTS that EVERYONE follow HIS path to financial success.

Too funny for words!
I've never said anything about how I invest, nor have I urged people to invest a certain way. All I've said is that IULs are not a good investment vehicle -- and posted data to demonstrate such.

If you're fine with losing half your fortune not once but twice, that's fine with me. Idiotic, but fine with me.
I guess you must have missed the part where a simplistic buy-and-hold of the S&P500 has a final value of $76,000 whereas the S&P500 invested by the IUL floor/cap rules had a final value of $51,000.

So I guess an B&H'er is idiotic even though he ends up with $25,000 more money? In what sense is that idiotic? Don't look now, but that idiot has 50% more money.

An IUL is suitable for many people, but you won't admit that.
Hmmm, I guess you didn't read everything I wrote. TL;DR?
'cause I said, actually, that a IUL *is* suitable for some people. People who prefer never-declining values over having more money. People who cannot stomach any volatility or drawdown.

You INSIST that EVERYONE accept what YOU say about them,
Facts are stubborn things. Math doesn't lie. I just showed the data. In fact, I asked people to show me where I was wrong.

In finances, it's all about the money. A strategy that gets you more money is good. A strategy that gets you less money is bad. We all make mistakes. If I am making a mistake and thinking that a strategy is good when it is really bad, then I want to know, so I can stop doing the bad strategy.

It's happened to me a bunch of times in my investment lifetime. More than once somebody has told me, "No. That's a stupid strategy." And showed me where I was wrong.
Believe it or not, I am GREATFUL when somebody shows me that I'm wrong about a strategy. 'cause -- look up above -- making more money is good, making less money is bad.

===============================
I generated this chart the other day but declined to post it so as to not muddy the waters. But what the heck.
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m543/rayvt/Equitycurves1...

That chart has two additional simple timing overlays on the S&P500.
One is timed with the 10-month Simple Moving Average, the other is timed with the 7-month-lookback Relative Strength. These are VERY simplistic and not ones that I use myself.

You can see that they both dramatically lower the volatility and drawdowns (losses) of the S&P, and they still have a higher final value than the IUL.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (85) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement