No. of Recommendations: 2
it could be a wise long term investment to transfer some stocks from a tax account into a non-taxable retirement account.

It could also be wise to leave those stocks in the taxable account and hold them for more than a year. In a taxable account, if stocks are held more than 1 year, gains are taxed at low rates (15%). OTOH, retirement accounts like 401Ks will be taxed at (usually) much higher ordinary income rates, and if rolled over into IRAs, there are restrictions on when you must withdraw the money, and how much you must withdraw each year during retirement. For these and other reasons, many Fools have both retirement accounts and taxable accounts--the taxable accounts should add flexibility to your retirement withdrawals.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.