UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: KudieM Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 83  
Subject: Re: New Lifestyle funds Date: 7/25/2006 11:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It does make sense, but yeah, when I think about it myself, my head wants to explode, too! When I write it out it makes more sense, but then seeing a more competent person analyze it for me, brings it that much clearer! Thanks a bunch.

I'm not so far off from you. I'm 40 and just hit 15 years in service a couple of weeks ago. I reach MRA at 57 and change, but rounded to an even 20 years to retirement to account for paying my house off b4 I retire.

I hadn't thought about the pension at all, but you're right, even if in the future they change the rules for pensions, they usually change it for new hires, much like they did when they went from CSRS to FERS so I probably should add that to my calculations. I've been ignoring it much like I have social security, trying to make sure I can take care of myself by myself and leaving everything (pension and social security) else to gravy. Thinking about the pension as akin to an allocation in bond-type instruments really knocks my presumption of 65% in stocks down significantly! Wow, that's very liberating in fact to think about it like that.........

I guess that says it all, I'm really not that stock heavy after all and can actually "afford" to dig into them even more heavily. All of my Roth money has been going into Hidden Gems selections, not doing too well right now, but yes, I'm plowing every dime I can spare into new shares with the market lower. And the lower it goes, I'll be turning out my pockets and rifling through the couch cushions to find more dimes to throw into the ring!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement