Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
It doesn't matter if your income is above the allowable income limit. A child can fund their own Coverdell account. If the money in his UGMA account is in stocks or bonds, the con of this is that you would need to sell them before putting the money in a Coverdell account, thereby triggering a taxable event.

I have this money in an mm fund.

Now comes the fuzzy part. I have seen information on UGMA accounts funding 529 plans. When an UGMA funds a 529, you cannot change the beneficiary of the account and the child gains control of the account at majority age. I will guess that these same restrictions occur when an UGMA funds a Coverdell.

We have no other beneficiaries and no intention of it being for anyone but him. Majority age is 21 in our state and he will be beginning his senior year of college. He's welcome to do whatever else he'd like with the money but well understands that it would be the last money he ever saw from us. I think all 3 kids understand that the money is for college and really wouldn't consider using it for other things - particularly since our trust requires all 3 to have a bachelors degree before the money gets distributed for anything but college expenses.

Sounds like I can do it without creating any IRS concern ?

rad
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement