Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
It doesn't matter if your income is earned in the US or outside the US. What matters is that your earned income is reported on your tax return and subject to taxation. If you take advantage of the foreign earned income exclusion and that "eliminates" your earned income, then you no longer qualify for a Roth IRA (or a traditional IRA). Of course, if you really, really want to open a Roth, you can decide not to take your foreign income exclusion and pay taxes on your income.

Somehow, I doubt that would be a wise course of action.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.