Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
It failed...Got the temps just a hair too high and melted the cheese as it got a short smoke.

What were you using for a smoker, Rick? Color? What was the weather like, temperature, sunny, etc.?? I never tried to smoke cheese but have cold smoked lox and, back when I had enough teeth to chew it, smoked beef for jerky. I noticed that the sun shining on a black colored smoker can raise it’s inside temperature more than a few degrees.

For the lox, I salt cured a salmon filet and picked a cold (for Loosiana) day with the temperature in the 50s and low wind. I used my old (28 years this month) ECB-type smoker. I filled the water pan with ice, put the cured salmon straight from the fridge onto the top rack and put a smoldering chunk of wood in the charcoal pan. I had a handful of briquettes lit in my chimney and added chunks of wood on top of the charcoal to get them burning. When the smoke from the first chunk of wood almost stopped, I would remove it and replace it with a new smoldering chunk of wood. I suspect that the ice had all melted within the first half hour but the temperature at just below the top grate never got above 115 or 110 degrees in about 2 or 1 3/4 hours of smoking.
;-)

C.J.V. - might hafta try cheese this winter, me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement